"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Smo'mo!

  • Yesterday marked nine continuous months without nicotine. Someone I know has referred to it as 'smobriety', which I thought was pretty clever. But I think it should be shortened to just 'smo'. It could be an adjective (abstinent from nicotine after a long period of smoking), a noun (one who has quit or the state of having quit), or a verb (to quit). It could be combined with other slang: a smo'mo (such as myself) is a gay man who has quit smoking. If it catches on, it could start a trend of peer pressure against smoking: "C'mon, everyone else is smo! You'll be cool! Wanna see my pink, healthy lungs? I've got 98% blood oxygen saturation!"
  • I'm surprised at how much energy I have. I was at work for an hour before realizing I had forgotten to pour myself some coffee. Two hours later, having had only one cup of coffee and absolutely no soda, I was positively hyper. I later started to sag a bit and had a couple bottles of soda, but I've had even more water. I have already exceeded the recommended minimum water intake today. I think I'm already beginning to experience the benefits of moderate cardio-vascular exercise and increased water consumption after less than a week.
  • Last night I took my bike for a ride around the block: starting at 15th Ave. and San Miguel, I rode to Bethany Home Rd., then to 7th Ave, the to Missouri, back to 15th Ave. and back home. That's a little over two miles. I took a spill on about 8th Ave. and Bethany, which would have been embarrassing if anyone had been around to see it. Fortunately, I only skinned my knee. I'm glad I was wearing my helmet because it would have hurt a lot worse otherwise.
  • I'm suddenly weirded out by how grown-up I'm becoming: responsibilities, regular exercise, concern for my health and safety, volunteer work, etc. I'll have to do something really juvenile soon to feel normal again. Maybe I'll watch cartoons in my underwear while eating Cap'n Crunch this Saturday morning.

Today's listening:

  1. The Modern Lovers: The Modern Lovers
  2. Daft Punk: Discovery
  3. XTC: Black Sea
  4. Saint Etienne: Tales From Turnpike House
  5. Funkadelic: Maggot Brain

No comments: