"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Good karma

While I remember it, I'd like to encourage anyone reading this to give money to or volunteer for or adopt a pet through HALO Animal Rescue. They are a no-kill animal shelter that runs the adoption centers in Phoenix-area Petsmart locations. All animals available for adoption have already been spayed or neutered, microchipped, and (in the case of cats) litter-trained. I have just started volunteering for them a few weeks ago. It is so fun being around the animals that one forgets that it's work!

I have had my cat Sugarfoot (pictured below) for just over a month and she is a pure joy. My boyfriend and I fell in love with her while shopping at Petsmart one day and I decided to adopt her on a whim. I decided then to volunteer for HALO because Sugarfoot wouldn't have lived long enough to find a loving home if it weren't for them. I hope I can help do the same for the other animals they shelter.

No comments: