"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Monday, January 23, 2006

Eventful days

Lots to blog about:

  • Michael and I finally saw Brokeback Mountain. We were both pretty bored and felt underwhelmed at first. However, the film is beginning to make sense on different levels as I try to understand the characters' motiviations. Perhaps I'll see it again soon.
  • The next morning, we went hiking Piestewa Peak. I hadn't been hiking in about 20 years, so I wasn't sure how I would do. We just barely made a start on the trail before I had to turn back, but I'm pleased at how much I could finish. We decided that we'll try to make it our Sunday morning tradition.
  • I bought a bike this afternoon. I hope to rely more on the bike and less on the bus for transportation, thus losing weight and strengthening my heart and lungs. I am at 197.5 lbs. right now. I will post about my progress in the coming weeks and months. I biked for over an hour total this evening, so I think I'm off to a good start.

Today's listening:

  1. Fennesz: Venice
  2. Mr. Bungle: California
  3. Califone: Heron King Blues
  4. Can: Future Days
  5. AFX: Hangable Auto Bulb

No comments: