"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Should still be studying

I was way more depressed than perhaps I should be when I read about the igloo shortage in the Arctic. I was beginning to get concerned that I was taking the news way harder than one could reasonably expect someone in my circumstances to take it. Maybe it's just because I'm an anthropology major, I thought, or maybe it's due to my medication.

In any case, I can't afford to be depressed today. I have an exam in less than three hours and I desperately need to study for it. I took a walk to the corner market and bought three candy bars, a huge bottle of water, and a blue book for the exam. Somehow I knew that CocoRosie would cheer me up on the way. I'm still rather unenthused about my day but at least I'm not obsessing about the well-being of Inuits I have never met.

My listening so far:

  1. The Go! Team: Thunder, Lightning, Strike
  2. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: Howl
  3. CocoRosie: La Maison de Mon Rêve
  4. Man Man: Six Demon Bag
  5. Múm: Finally We Are No One
  6. The Decemberists: Castaways and Cutouts
  7. Einstürzende Neubauten: Tabula Rasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I read somewhere - maybe the Washington Post - that it's physically impossible to be despressed when listening to CocoRosie. Angry, yes. Confused, yes. Blissful, yes.

Depressed, no.

Jonathan said...

I have to admit something shameful. I had never heard CocoRosie until "Beautiful Boyz". I only downloaded it because of the duet with Antony. Something stuck, though, because now I own both albums.