"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Eyeballs, eyeballs, eyeballs, eyeballs, eyeballs everywhere!

Friday morning a co-worker called in sick, confirming what we all had suspected - pinkeye. I briefly considered making an appointment with Dr. Hottie for that afternoon just in case. I decided to file it under "Wait and See" and enjoy the day. We were having a party for a student worker who was leaving us forever for a great new job. No time for fretting about viral conjunctivitis - this food wasn't going to eat itself.

On my way home on the bus, my right eye started stinging intermittently. Oh crap, I thought. I called Dr. Hottie's office on my cell. They could see me if I could get there before three. I was relieved. Even if I had pinkeye, I thought that I could start the antibiotic drops that afternoon and no longer be contageous by the next evening. I was not going to miss Cirque du Soleil for anything.

I stood on the scale, turning my head away. I didn't want to know how much weight I had gained.

"216," the nurse said. Apparently I had neglected to inform her of my plan - weight loss through denial.

I was half-asleep on the table when Dr. Hottie came in. He examined my eyes. No pinkeye. My irritation was due to allergies. Relief.

We discussed the side effects of my anxiety meds. I told him that sometimes it felt like there wasn't enough gravity. He switched me to Lexapro. He gave me months worth of samples. I was grateful to not have to pay for any prescriptions, as I am pretty much broke until graduation.

Later that evening, I hastily recorded the interstitial bits for my podcast. I set up my iPod to play the tracks and interstitials in the right order and began recording it with Polderbits. I laid down on the couch to watch the first few episodes of The Simpons, season seven, with commentary.

I woke up at about 2:30 with Sideshow Mel staring me in the face. I knew that my podcast was done recording, but editing would wait. I dragged myself into bed and went back to sleep.

In the morning, I edited the podcast and posted it to the web. I played WoW for an hour. I threw on some shorts and a t-shirt, wet down my Flock-of-Seagulls hair, hopped on my bicycle, and rode to Sonic for some lunch. Listened to the podcast on the way. The sun and breeze felt good on my legs. Came back, took Missy to the park. I steered clear of the couple with their four children. Missy loves getting attention from strangers and I didn't want to be there all day.

While I was getting ready to jump in the shower, Michael texts me. "What r u wearing?"

"Right now or at cirque?"

"At cirque, silly!"

"Nothing but a jockstrap!" I reply cheekily.

On the way to Cirque du Soleil, I decided to have a little April-Fool's fun with Michael. I managed to convince him that Jenny and I had gotten married five years ago so she could get on my medical insurance and that I hadn't told him until now because I didn't know whether he'd still want to be with me knowing I was married. He bought it completely. I couldn't keep up the charade for too long; it was getting harder to add outlandish details without laughing.

I called Jenny and left a message detailing my prank on her voice mail. She called back moments later to congratulate me.

"Tom Waits is coming next month!" she said.

"Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!" I replied. "When?! Where?! How much?!"

"April Fool's!"

I guess I had it coming.

Cirque was fabulous in so many ways. Michael and I talked about it for the entire trip back to his place. While he packed his overnight bag, we discussed our plans for the evening. We were both craving nachos, so we settled on Hamburger Mary's.

When we arrived, we were horrified to find that it wasn't Hamburger Mary's anymore. "What the fuck is Burger Betty's?!" I exclaimed. It was packed. Tim was sitting at a table by the door, collecting the cover charge. I improvised. "How about Pookie's?"

Michael had never been. It was just down the street. We arrived, surprised that even Pookie's had changed its name - to Miggie B's. Oh well. We were starving. Our host informed us that a former waiter just bought the place, hence the name change. Same menu, same people - just a new look and a new name.

We scarfed down the nachos so quickly that we weren't hungry anymore by the time the burgers arrived. We asked our waiter to box them up, I paid and left a handsome tip, and we left.

We rented Crash. Not the Cronenberg film. The new one - the one that beat Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture. Pretty good movie. Better than I was expecting. I still preferred Brokeback Mountain. We stayed up for a while watching TV with John.

This morning Michael went and got us coffee while I was still in bed. He left fairly early because he has a lot of crap to get done. Now I am blogging and procrastinating about getting on my bike.

No comments: