"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Monday, November 20, 2006

Stolen bicycle

I was going to use this evening to catch up on music recommendations, but I'm not really in the mood now. In fact, I'm positively livid.

It turns out that my roommate has known since Saturday that my bicycle was stolen out of the backyard but neglected to mention it to me until just a few minutes ago. Apparently, he came home Saturday afternoon to find the door to the from the garage into the backyard open (we have an open garage facing the street which leads right into the backyard). He found that my bicycle and his tile saw had been stolen.

He says he didn't say anything to me because he assumed I already knew. It's just common sense that if I knew, I would have said something. He also assumed that the police couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. I guess it didn't occur to him that bicycles and power tools have serial numbers that are traceable. Had he called the police on Saturday, we might have been able to recover the stolen items. Now, who knows? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get the serial number for my bike from the shop that sold it to me and it's not too late to file a police report.

Maybe I will get one or two recommendations done tonight, but I wouldn't count on it.

No comments: