"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Saturday, November 25, 2006

My recommendations 2006:
Rabbit Fur Coat by Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins

Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins: Rabbit Fur Coat
Team Love 1/24/2006

There is an elusive quality in a flawless female voice that I have always loved. I have always been drawn to this particular kind of voice. I heard it in Alison Moyet's performance on Yaz's "Midnight", when it sounded as if her head might explode from the pressure. I heard it throughout all three This Mortal Coil albums from various women who have contributed their voices to the project. Now, I hear it all over Jenny Lewis' solo debut, Rabbit Fur Coat. Co-produced by Lewis and M. Ward, Rabbit Fur Coat is more country-rock than alt-country, so its twang might be a little off-putting at first. However, a little patience and open-mindedness pays off, as Lewis' voice, as well as the Watson Twins', is completely beguiling. Despite my prejudices against the particular genres explored on Rabbit Fur Coat, I must admit that any other format would have been a less perfect showcase for Lewis' vocal abilities.

No comments: