"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Sunday, November 12, 2006

My recommendations 2006:
The Crane Wife by The Decemberists

The Decemberists: The Crane Wife
Capitol 10/3/2006


In some ways, it's scarier to love a band that's still working and creating than one that no longer exists. No matter how great a band is, it will eventually peak and decline. Every time The Decemberists release a new record, I brace myself for the inevitable. I always fear the worst: that they have used up all their best ideas and the new record will be mediocre. When I heard The Crane Wife, as has been the case with every Decemberists record so far, my fears were assuaged. They seem to be beating the odds, for now anyway. Their sound has definitely changed - it's harder and rougher than it has ever been - but they haven't lost the baroque quality that makes them great. The Crane Wife hasn't yet grabbed me like Picaresque did, but it just might become my favorite Decemberists record so far. If this album is any indication, they haven't even reached their peak yet.

No comments: