"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Saturday, November 25, 2006

My recommendations 2006:
Youth by Matisyahu

Matisyahu: Youth
Sony 3/7/2006

Okay, I know what you're thinking. Matisyahu? Isn't he the rapping rabbi novelty dude?! I know that Pitchfork panned this record mercilessly, but Sean Fennessey seemed more concerned with Matisyahu's lack of legit reggae credentials than anything about the music. Plus, Fennessey's review was factually inaccurate on every count. For the record, Matisyahu was born and raised Jewish. But that doesn't matter anyway. Let's talk about the music. I wanted desperately to not like this album, but despite my own considerable prejudices, I have to admit it's pretty darn good. Perhaps if I was into the misogynistic, homophobic reggae of Beenie Man I would think Matisyahu pretty tame in comparison, but as far as reggae goes, I haven't heard anything as effortlessly enjoyable as Youth. If you need more convincing, consider the producer of this record: Bill Laswell. Yes, that Bill Laswell. The same Bill Laswell who played on Eno and Byrne's My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, founded Material and The Golden Palominos, and produced Swans' The Burning World. The production on Youth is easily some of Laswell's best work of the decade. While Youth gets a little preachy at moments, it's otherwise a surprisingly great album.

No comments: