"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Amendment I

I am alarmed the recent news that only 0.1% of Americans could name all five freedoms granted by Amendment I of the U.S. Constitution in a recent survey.

I was always raised to believe that the Constution is the United States. I think that not only should we revere it, we should memorize it verbatim and understand every Section and Article.

So here it is - the Amendment that so few know but so many disdain (emphasis added by me):

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

1 comment:

Anali said...

The Arizona Republic has an editorial today with a helpful guide to remembering our First Amendment rights. I thought you in particular would appreciate it.