"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Surprised

Yesterday afternoon Michael took me to Lambda Phoenix Center under the guise of helping repair damage from the recent fire. Instead, when we walked in the door, I found about a dozen friends yelling, "Surprise!"

Michael and my roommate, John, put together a lovely surprise graduation party for me. This is one of those things that make me feel so lucky to have such great friends in my life. I am especially touched by the amount of effort Michael put into it, considering that he had to overcome major social anxiety to put it together. It's just one more thing that makes him such an amazing man and the best boyfriend I have ever had.

John got a Homer Simpson cake and some sandwiches from a bakery/cafe owned by mutual acquaintances. Among the gifts were Brokeback Mountain on DVD, a biography of Nikola Tesla, a book about great historical blunders, a gorgeous leather-bound journal, a book of sudoku, and some yellow roses. Michael took a lot of photos, which I will post here when he sends them to me.

No comments: