"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Slight change of plans

I decided not to participate in today's university-wide graduation ceremony for several reasons. First, I had no guests coming and no ride. That would mean schlepping my cap and gown across town on the bus and getting it all wrinkled.

Additionally, I had miscalculated the amount of vacation time I had left at work. As it turns out, I could only take one day off instead of two like I had hoped. I felt it would be more important to take tomorrow off for the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences convocation ceremony instead.

Finally, today's commencement was scheduled for 10 AM. I knew that temperatures would exceed 90° before the ceremony even started. Tomorrow's, at least, starts at 8, so it will be over before it gets too sweltering.

Today I just took two hours off so I could get a haircut and do some laundry.

Today's listening:

  1. Prince: 1999
  2. The Cure: The Head on the Door
  3. Bloc Party: Silent Alarm Remixed
  4. Supertramp: Breakfast in America
  5. The Flaming Lips: Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
  6. Jana Hunter: Blank Unstaring Heirs of Doom

No comments: