"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Friday, May 26, 2006

Friday

On Wednesday, I promised to share my thoughts about The City and the Pillar. It was fairly enjoyable, not as good as Myra Breckinridge. It's easy to tell that it was written when Vidal was very young. The prose is less developed than in his later work, which is to be expected. I was surprised that I pretty much picked two random Gore Vidal novels over two days and they both ended with the protagonist raping a straight guy. I think Vidal has some issues there.

I haven't finished reading Messiah yet (or even really started it) because I was falling asleep on the bus home from work. I took a nap when I got home and spent the rest of the evening with Michael. I'll set aside some time this weekend.

Last night the neighbors across the street were partying very loudly, preventing me from getting to sleep at a decent hour. I finally called the police at 11:30. I've had to do this at least a dozen times over the past three years. Oh well, I'll move soon and won't have to deal with them anymore.

Right now I am contemplating whether to do laundry, take a nap, or plant myself on the couch for some Dharma & Greg reruns. It will probably be the latter.

No comments: