"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Monday, May 01, 2006

Back on the bike

I was able to get about of bed before six this morning, thanks to Sugarfoot standing on my back and meowing loudly. I decided it would be a perfect opportunity to get back into riding my bike part of the way to campus.

I got out of the habit because it was getting to be difficult to find a bus stop that was outside of walking distance from the house and not closed due to light rail construction. The construction is now so extensive that any sensible route I might take to campus is significantly affected by it. Today, however, I found a stop that is just over half a mile from the house - just enough distance to get my blood flowing and wake me up. Hopefully, the bus stop will remain open for a while. But it'll probably get moved next week without notice, knowing how Valley Metro operates.

When I arrived at campus, I was alert and awake. I didn't need caffeine for the first hour of work. I even went for a short ride after work. Aside from the SUVs driving in the bike lanes, it went pretty well.

I even got some music in today:

  1. Clor: Clor
  2. Dangerdoom: The Mouse and the Mask
  3. Wooden Wand: Harem of the Sundrum and the Witness Figg
  4. Joanna Newsom: The Milk-Eyed Mender
  5. Primal Scream: Screamadelica
  6. The Avalanches: Since I Left You

No comments: