"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Reading day

UPDATE: At the suggestion of my coworker, Heather, I used our library's Ask a Librarian chat function to ask about this. We didn't come up with anything definitive, but we concluded that it probably originated in the U.S. or Canada fairly recently, since usage of the term is sparse in British universities and non-existent in Australia, but common in the U.S. and Canada.

Today is reading day at ASU. Aside from no classes, I'm not sure I entirely know what it means.

I tried searching for its meaning and origins on Google and Wikipedia, to no avail. My suspicion is that the name means that faculty are supposed to use the day to catch up on grading term papers and assignments before finals begin.

Does anyone know the answer to this one? I'm really curious.

Today's listening:

  1. The Shins: Chutes Too Narrow
  2. Bauhaus: In the Flat Field
  3. Guillemots: From the Cliffs EP
  4. Dr. Dog: Easy Beat

No comments: