"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Feeling literary

Now that I'm no longer obligated to read, I can get back to reading for pleasure.

During such literary periods of my life, it is not unusual for me to be reading several books at once (well, not all at once, but alternating back and forth). Currently I am reading Tesla: Man Out of Time by Margaret Cheney (no relation of which I am aware) and Myra Breckinridge by Gore Vidal.

One of the few things of value I inherited from my mother is her voracity for literature. When she was a stay-at-home mom, she would often read two or three books in their entirety a day. While some were trashy romance novels, her reading more often included denser material like Atlas Shrugged or All the President's Men. When making one of her visits to her mother, she would usually bring several paper grocery bags full of books that my mother had finished reading in the previous week. My mom probably got her passion for reading from her mother, who in turn got it from her mother, who had to pose as a boy to go to yeshiva, where she asked, "PAPA, CAN YOU HEAR ME?!" and - oops - I'm thinking of Yentl. Never mind.

Today's listening:

  1. Ricardo Villalobos: Achso
  2. She Wants Revenge: She Wants Revenge
  3. The Plastic Constellations: Crusades
  4. The Sundays: Reading, Writing & Arithmetic
  5. Dead Can Dance: Spleen and Ideal
  6. Laura Cantrell: Humming by the Flowered Vine

No comments: