"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Monday, June 05, 2006

Monday

I hate job hunting.

I have been trying to find a part-time job (in addition to the one I have) for weeks. I have tried temp agencies, Craigslist, and even my old job to no avail. This is getting really frustrating. I am probably going to have to write my grandfather and drop some not-so-subtle hints that I could use some money.

Aside from crushing poverty, it's actually kind of nice to have all the free time. I know I will miss it once I'm working full-time.

I have been deliberating over which album should be the topic of my next "Albums That Loved Me Back" segment. I've considered a number of albums: Doolittle, Loveless, Daydream Nation, The Idiot, Homogenic, Ziggy Stardust, Disintegration, Ágætis Byrjun, Closer, etc. But why write about albums that are almost universally recognized as masterpieces? I may as well write about Nevermind or Abbey Road - neither of which I've ever actually heard completely, and yet so much has been said about them that I could probably regurgitate some oft-repeated phrases and fool the reader.

I prefer to write about albums that are relatively obscure, underrated, or perhaps even loved by most audiophiles for reasons completely dissimilar to my own. In other words, albums for which my appreciation is not entirely based on their musical merits, but also on my experiences with them.

With this in mind, I have selected an album that, despite its dizzy rapture-inducing gorgeousness, tends to be absent from most critics' lists of best albums of the 90s. I will post my article in a few days.

Today's listening:

  1. Dengue Fever: Escape From Dragon House
  2. Robyn: Robyn
  3. My Bloody Valentine: Loveless
  4. This Mortal Coil: Blood

No comments: