"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

First day on the job jitters

In three hours, I officially start my second part-time job at Live and Let Live Cafe (no website to link to, unfortunately).

I was on the verge of panicking about not having full-time work yet this past weekend. On the spur of the moment, I suggested to Michael that we have lunch at the cafe, which was started by several acquaintances a few months ago. It had occurred to me before to apply for a job there previously, but I had never gotten around to checking if they were hiring. While we ate, I filled out an application. The next afternoon I got the call offering me the job.

I'm a bit nervous because it's a completely new line of work for me. Michael texted me earlier today, "It's ok to be nervous on ur first day." I had an amusing mental image of the first day of kindergarten, with Michael leaving me with the teacher and a fully-grown me screaming, "Nooooo!!! Don't leave me!!!" I immediately replied, "Will you go with me and hold my hand?"

I have confidence that I will be able to learn this job, though. And though it's not the kind of work I'm looking for, I can make some money to pay bills while I apply for full-time positions at the library (five of which are getting listed this week). And the fact that I already know most of my coworkers and the clientele helps, too.

Here's what I've been listening to yesterday and today:

  1. Mission of Burma: The Obliterati
  2. Espers: II
  3. Television: Marquee Moon
  4. LCD Soundsystem: LCD Soundsystem
  5. Daft Punk: Discovery
  6. !!!: Louden Up Now
  7. Scott Walker: The Drift
  8. Cat Power: Moon Pix
  9. COIL: Horse Rotorvator
  10. The Body Lovers: The Body Lovers
  11. The Body Haters: The Body Haters

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I trust the first day went well.

What are your eMusic choices this month?

Jonathan said...

I downloaded:

Cocteau Twins: Lullabies to Violaine (the 19 tracks that I don't already have, anyway)
Frog Eyes: The Bloody Hand
Richard Butler: Richard Butler
Mojave 3: Puzzles Like You
Brightblack Morning Light: Brightblack Morning Light
Think About Life: Think About Life
Paik: Monster of the Absolute