"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Friday, October 27, 2006

My recommendations 2006:
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys

Arctic Monkeys: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Domino 2/21/2006

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not is an album that requires little effort on the part of the listener. Ordinarily, this is not a desirable quality in music, but in this case it means that it can be enjoyed fully on first listen and its appeal stands up after dozens of listens. While quite distinctly English, its subject matter is universal: being young in the city and trying to get drunk, high, laid, into the cool clubs, etc. Arctic Monkeys speak of Sheffield or London, but it may as well be Tucson or Austin at 2 A.M. Sunday morning.

No comments: