"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Friday, July 21, 2006

Slow day

It's an almost unbearably slow day in the office. I have about an hour and a half left and I am bored to death.

I am going to take my GRE in about two weeks. I plan to study a bit each day until then, including writing essays from the sample topics at the GRE website. On two practice tests (quantitative and verbal only) I scored 1330 and 1360. My goal is at least 1450 combined verbal and quantitative and 5-6 on each of the two analytical essays.

I recently became concerned that my iPod was running out of space for music. I realized that many tracks that I had downloaded from Emusic and Bleep were encoded at a sampling rate of more than 200 kbps. I realized that if I could transfer files back to my hard drive, I could convert them into 128 kbps AAC files without a significant decline in sound quality. I had to find software that had the capability of transferring files from iPod to hard drive - iTunes had lost this function with version 4.7. I found and tested ephPod and it worked. Last night I reduced about half a GB by about 140 MB - roughly 28%. I hope that this process will free up at least 3 GB.

I have now successfully killed a few minutes, so I will get back to work.

No comments: