"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

iPod trouble

I did something stupid. I tried to use ephPod to delete tracks from my iPod after copying them to my hard drive. Big mistake. Now the iPod DB is corrupted and only ephPod can read it. iTunes will not recognize the iPod when plugged in and the iPod will not recognize the 13,000+ tracks that are still stored on it. And, yes, I tried using the DB-rebuilding feature in ephPod and it doesn't work too well. It seems to think that there are only 20 subdirectories, rather than 40.

All is not lost, however. The tracks are still there and ephPod still sees them. I have started to transfer all the tracks onto my hard drive and my old 40GB Creative mp3 player. Then I will use iPod Updater to restore factory settings on the iPod and transfer the files back. This should take me a few days, so I don't reckon there will be a podcast this week.

I want to get it done fast, though, for these three reasons in particular:

  • the soundtrack to the Leonard Cohen documentary I'm Your Man, featuring Antony, Nick Cave, Rufus and Martha, Kate and Anna, and some other lovely people.
  • O Yuki Conjugate's new album, The Euphoria of Disobedience, which just became available on iTunes.
  • Frog Eyes' new EP, The Future Is Inter-Disciplinary or Not at All, which I had my hoodlums order for me from Spain.

Here is what I was able to listen to Saturday, Sunday and Monday before this little mishap:

  1. Girl Talk: Night Ripper
  2. O Yuki Conjugate: Equator
  3. The Pipettes: We Are the Pipettes
  4. Metallic Falcons: Desert Doughnuts
  5. The Essex Green: Cannibal Sea
  6. Peeping Tom: Peeping Tom
  7. Centro-Matic: Fort Recovery
  8. Richard Butler: Richard Butler

No comments: