"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Monday, July 31, 2006

Countdown to Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man: 5 days remaining

Today was payday. My paycheck was delayed for several hours, causing me to stay on campus much later than I had expected. This only heightened my anticipation of my eventual return home. All I could think of was downloading the soundtrack to Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man.

The album is nearly flawless. Teddy Thompson's voice immediately sounded familiar. It took a few minutes to realize where I'd heard him before: Brokeback Mountain. His cover of "Tonight Will Be Fine" was a little too twangy for my taste at first, but it grew on me. Nick Cave, as always, is amazing in his rendition of "I'm Your Man". Antony's performance of "If It Be Your Will" is breathtaking, to say the least. Rufus Wainwright's tango version of "Everybody Knows" is unexpected but it works. Kate and Anna McGarrigle and Martha Wainwright recast "Winter Lady" as a medieval vocal harmony piece, possibly rivaling the original arrangement in its potency.

There are a couple of weak moments. Beth Orton sounds as if she had just received a blood transfusion from post-Jefferson Airplane Grace Slick ca. 1979 five minutes before the show. I had high expectations for Jarvis Cocker, having been a fan of Pulp for over ten years. Unfortunately, his vocal for "I Can't Forget" is even weaker than the Pixies' 1992 cover of the same song - possibly the worst thing they ever recorded. And who told Bono he could ever be worthy of placing his voice next to that of the master himself?

Overall, though, it's worth the price for the download.

Here's what I've been listening to today:

  1. Mugison: Mugimama! Is This Monkey Music?
  2. Tones on Tail: Everything!
  3. Mogwai: Young Team
  4. Deerhoof: Apple O'
  5. Howe Gelb: 'Sno Angel Like You
  6. V/A: Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man soundtrack
  7. My Robot Friend: Dial 0
  8. Frog Eyes: The Future Is Inter-Disciplinary or Not at All EP
  9. CSS: Cansei de Ser Sexy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire yet? If not, the band members of Wyrd Sisters will look and sound pleasantly familiar.