"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Preparing for Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man

Michael has agreed to let me give him a crash course in Leonard Cohen before we see the movie next weekend. He gave me, with some trepidation, his last CD-R for this purpose. I assured him that the experience would not be too painful.

But how does one distill forty years of songwriting genius to eighty minutes? I spent a couple of hours agonizing over the tracks to include and their order. Inevitably, some great songs had to be left off. Here is the tracklist I finally settled upon:

  1. Chelsea Hotel No. 2
  2. Everybody Knows
  3. Master Song
  4. Don't Go Home With Your Hard-On
  5. Avalanche
  6. First We Take Manhattan
  7. Field Commander Cohen
  8. Night Comes On
  9. Bird on the Wire
  10. Waiting for the Miracle
  11. There Is a War
  12. Stranger Song
  13. The Law
  14. Story of Isaac
  15. A Singer Must Die
  16. Sisters of Mercy
  17. You Know Who I Am
  18. Who by Fire

I'm not expecting Michael, whose most recent music purchase was Mariah Carey, to become a die-hard Leonard Cohen fan as the result of hearing this mix. However, I hope he will notice some of the qualities in LC's music that have made me such a devoted proponent.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I wouldn't challenge any choice on the list. I would question the loss of "Famous Blue Raincoat."

Then again, I'm the one who could imagine a CD of "Everybody Knows" sixteen times in a row.

Jonathan said...

I know this is blasphemy, but "Famous Blue Raincoat" is not one of my favorites. Overall, I feel Songs of Love and Hate is somewhat overrated, while New Skin for the Old Ceremony is vastly underrated.

Unknown said...

Once, a couple of years ago, on a rainy day in Seattle, we drove to the bank and Ben had to go inside and take care of some business. I stayed in the car and "Famous Blue Raincoat" came on the radio (KEXP) and I was in tears halfway through the song. It was at that moment that I finally understood why I love Leonard Cohen so much and why I so rarely listen to him.

Jonathan said...

On what planet does Leonard Cohen get played on the radio and how exactly might one get there?