"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Monday, June 12, 2006

Catching up

Last week was busier at work than I had ever seen it due to two staff being away on vacation. I worked afternoons rather than my usual morning shift to compensate for their absence. I enjoyed sleeping in, but I felt as if no amount of sleep was enough for me to feel well-rested. I averaged about ten hours a night but still felt exhausted. Commuting in the afternoon heat on an unreliable bus system was a drawback as well.

I was ecstatic over last Wednesday's storm. It happened just as I was leaving work. I was so happy for a break from the heat that I didn't bother trying to shelter myself from the rain. I stood in the downpour, arms out at my sides and eyes closed, relishing the soaking for a few minutes before the bus arrived. I was disappointed that it didn't recur Thursday as the local meteorologist had predicted.

Michael went to Tucson for the weekend to visit a close friend who is recovering from baryatric surgery. She has already lost 50 pounds in the month since the surgery. I hope we can go visit together soon so I can see the results for myself. Michael came back horribly sunburned. He has been smearing himself with grapeseed oil to ease the pain. He told me today that the smell makes him hungry for some kind of antipasto.

Today I received my diploma in the mail. Now I have proof. It still doesn't feel real to me yet.

Today's listening:

  1. Akron/Family & The Angels of Light: Akron/Family & Angels of Light
  2. The Mountain Goats: We Shall All Be Healed
  3. Modest Mouse: The Lonesome Crowded West

No comments: