"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

"This is truly a disturbing universe."

The events of the past few days have made me begin to question whether the universe just took a temporo-spatial wrong turn a few days ago. Things aren't creepy or wrong or sinister, per se, just weird. Exhibit A: The VP shoots someone in the face. Exhibit B: Willie Nelson releases a cover of a Pansy Division song, "Cowboys Are Frequently Secretly (Fond of Each Other)".

Not that I object, mind you. I have a fondness for Pansy Division that stems from my adolescence, ever since I heard their cheeky re-write of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which they re-titled "Smells Like Queer Spirit". They have frequently managed to be funny and poignant simultaneously, and they have always been unapologetically out and proud. I think that they significantly influenced my own coming-out, inspiring me to never hide from anyone.

However, I still think that Willie's new single is evidence that I somehow woke up in a parallel universe sometime last week.

  1. Clogs: Lantern
  2. Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins: Rabbit Fur Coat
  3. Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice: Xiao

No comments: