"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wednesday night

I am listening to Keith Fullerton Whitman's MetLife: Dartmouth Street Underpass EP and steeping my nightly tea. A mixture of Lemon Zinger and True Blueberry this time. It smells like those amazing blueberry muffins I learned to make during my brief tenure at the cafe.

Yesterday I received a cute refrigerator magnet/wedding announcement from my favorite cousin, Shannon. The wedding is scheduled for Memorial Day weekend. I'd love to go but it doesn't seem likely. Even if I could afford the round-trip airfare to Virginia and two nights in a hotel over a holiday weekend, I still can't be surrounded by family without some kind of emotional support. Shannon and my aunt and my other cousins are all great, but almost every other relative that will be there is a lunatic. My mother especially. Michael doesn't think he could afford to go with me, so the only option left is taking one of my friends, most of whom are chronically broke. Barring some miracle, I will have to just send a gravy boat and my regards.

I finally got contacts this past weekend. After my last pair tore a few months ago, I kept putting it off because I thought I couldn't quite afford it yet. Imagine how embarrassed I was to realize I had vision coverage all along! It only cost me $19 for the exam and my insurance will cover 100% of the cost of the lenses up to $130. I am wearing a trial pair of the monthly lenses until I pick up a year's supply on Saturday. Unfortunately the optometrist mislabeled the trial pair and I only discovered today that I had been wearing each lens in the wrong eye. No wonder I've been getting headaches this week!

Paleunderweight podcast 24 will be posted a week from Friday. This will give me a chance to download my Yahoo! Sitebuilder software and possibly revamp the webpage a bit. I'll also use the opportunity to listen to lots of music, of course.

Now I am listening to the playlist I created from the random tracks described in the previous meme. I will post some commentary about those tracks soon, I promise. But for now, I must sleep.

Goodnight.

No comments: