"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Friday, December 01, 2006

My recommendations 2006:
Ringleader of the Tormentors by Morrissey

Morrissey: Ringleader of the Tormentors
Sanctuary 4/4/2006

When I was a horny, depressed teenager, I had an enormous crush on Morrissey. He was everything I wanted in a man: he was sexy, English and bordering on suicidal. At night, in bed, I would stare at my Smiths posters and dream of the day that I would break Morrissey's celibacy and he would be mine. Now, long after I had given up hope, somebody seems to have finally accomplished what I had fantasized about all those lonely nights. Morrissey is now confident, mature and liberated from sexual frustration. His famous gallows humor is still present, all the better now for not taking himself so seriously. Ringleader of the Tormentors is probably the most well-rounded of his solo albums, now that he has outgrown being masturbation fodder for drearily clad adolescents.

1 comment:

snafu said...

I was just in your neck of the woods this past weekend. Phoenix is an interesting place, I enjoyed myself...although I was told that the weather was a bit chilly so I guess I didn't get to experience it in all its glory.