"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Monday, December 11, 2006

My recommendations 2006:
The Fountain: Music From the Motion Picture by Clint Mansell

Clint Mansell: The Fountain: Music From the Motion Picture
Nonesuch 11/21/2006

About a month ago, I posted about my excitement about this collaboration between Clint Mansell (formerly of The Pop Will Eat Itself), Kronos Quartet and Mogwai. As high as my hopes for this score were, the end result surpassed my expectations. I went to see The Fountain with a friend two weeks ago and I was so impressed by how well the music complemented the emotional arc of the story and the visual palette that I immediately downloaded the score upon arriving home. Kronos Quartet are, as usual, adept at conveying the protagonist's grief, while Mogwai illustrate his desperation. This is a definite must-have if you are a fan of either. My only gripe is that the Antony Hegarty vocal version of "The Last Man" is not included. For now, you can hear it on Clint Mansell's Myspace page.

1 comment:

the author said...

I keep meaning to get this. I was just thinking about it last night. You know I love the Requiem For A Dream score.

Glad to hear that you give it a big thumbs up.