"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Sunday, November 12, 2006

My recommendations 2006:
Modern Times by Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan: Modern Times
Sony 8/29/2006

I think that a proper appreciation for music in general should include due reverence for the 20th century's great songwriters: Cole Porter, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, etc. For some reason, though, I never gave Bob Dylan much notice until Modern Times. Having heard the album several times now, I don't know how he could have eluded me until now. Even having released over fifty-some albums, he's still such an amazing songwriter. I initially bristled at some of the styles included here, but Dylan's attention to detail has won me over. From the craftsmanship Dylan displays on these songs and in the diversity of their styles, it's easy to see now how he has influenced, and been influenced by, my favorite songwriters. I will likely revisit his earlier catalogue now, and if Blonde on Blonde and other albums are better than Modern Times as so many fans claim, then they are sure to become some of my all-time favorites.

No comments: