"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Tense day

Today should have been a happy, carefree day for Michael and I to celebrate. Instead, we both have knots in our stomachs, waiting for what could very well be devastating news.

I don't want to go into too much detail just yet, but the long and the short of it is that Michael's cat, Poo, is very sick. His condition has deteriorated over the past couple of weeks. He has now been in the animal hospital since yesterday morning undergoing successively invasive tests which culminated in exploratory surgery and a biopsy. We may have to wait up to a week to find out Poo's fate.

Understandably, we are both sick with worry, especially Michael. Right now I'm just trying to stay in the present and not focus too much on worst case scenarios, while trying to prepare myself for providing emotional support to Michael through challenging times.

In spite of facing some disheartening possibilities, I have some good news to report. I found people willing to write my letters of recommendation for my application to graduate school. I also have a meeting with a former coworker tomorrow to go over my curriculum vitae and letter of intent. I am ordering transcripts from ASU and Phoenix College tonight after my direct deposit goes in. I should get my official GRE results any day now. All this means I will probably be able to submit my application by the 28th.

That's all for now. More later.

3 comments:

the author said...

All my best for Poo.

Anonymous said...

You should seriously consider putting little Poo down... if he is in pain, why keep him alive? Sorry, I don't know you, I just read your blog for the music recommendations. But I had a cat who I loved, for 16 years, and she had bad cancer and I just said "OK, how long does she have before it gets bad enough where she'll need pain meds?" He said about a month. Two weeks later I brought her in... she was already starting to hide under the bed, which she wasn't doing earlier, and I knew she was in pain. So I urge you to think about this option, it seriously is the most humane thing to do. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, that's the furthest thing from my mind.... I have been reading your thoughts on music for months now and have never made a comment until now.

Jonathan said...

Thank you both for you kind thoughts and wishes.

Anonymous- no, you don't sound like a jerk. As of yesterday, the best case scenario would be if the mass turned out to be benign. In that case, the only treatment would involve surgical removal, but it would leave Poo with a much smaller stomach and on meds for the rest of his life. Michael talked with his vet today and they agreed that it was really six of one, half dozen the other. There really isn't any need to wait for the biopsy to come back. Either way, the prognosis isn't good. Michael decided to bring Poo home to have two weeks or so of relative comfort, and then bring him back to the vet to be put down before he starts to suffer too much. I agree that this is best.

Aside from this, I'm glad to hear you are a regular visitor. Please feel free to leave a comment and tell me something about youself, where you are, what music recommendations you have used, etc. I'd love to hear from you.