"If you want to be free, there is but one way; it is to guarantee an equally full measure of liberty to all your neighbors. There is no other." - Carl Schurz

"The saddest epitaph which can be carved in memory of a vanished liberty is that it was lost because its possessors failed to stretch forth a saving hand while yet there was time." - George Sutherland
"Whenever a separation is made between liberty and justice, neither, in my opinion, is safe." - Edmund Burke

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Finished Myra Breckinridge

Last night I finished reading Myra Breckinridge. (Warning: Spoiler alert.)

Never having read Gore Vidal before, I didn't know entirely what to expect. I had, however, seen part of the film, which, though it was edited for television, had intrigued me enough to make a mental note to find out if the library had the book.

The biggest let-down was my realization that the book's twist was spoiled in the first few minutes of the movie. However, knowing Myra's secret, to which Vidal cryptically alludes throughout, did not impair my enjoyment of his wit as expressed through the heroine. Though decidedly sadistic and delusional, Myra is truly the most likable character. Unfortunately, her conquest over Rusty seemed anticlimactic. Sodomizing her foe seems too mundane for such a formidable intellect as Myra's. Also, her sudden reversion back to Myron was disappointing. No explanation was offered other than the loss of her silicone breasts as the result of being hit by a car.

Despite its drawbacks, I enjoyed Vidal's style and want to read more. I just checked out The City and the Pillar. I'll post my impressions when I finish it.

Also, I welcome suggestions for future reading in the comments.

Today's listening:

  1. Scott Walker: The Drift
  2. Danielson: Ships
  3. Jolie Holland: Springtime Can Kill You
  4. The Streets: The Hardest Way to Make an Easy Living
  5. Matmos: The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of a Beast
  6. Beirut: Gulag Orkestar
  7. Little Annie: Songs From the Coalmine Canary

No comments: